Thursday 29 October 2015

Vazhakka Thoran (Raw plantain)

This used to be a very common thoran dish in my home during my child hood days. When I bought a few vazhakkas last week to make some bajjis, I suddenly realized that its been too long since I've made it here for my family. So here it is, a truly yummy thoran recipe.

Vazhakka thoran

Ingredients

Raw plantain/ vazhakka – 3 – 4
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Green chilli – 1
Garlic – 2 cloves
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies – 2
Brown rice – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Salt – To taste
Method

Peel the plantains and chop them to small cubes.
Heat oil in a pan.  Splutter the mustard seeds and add the dry red chiliesand brown them.
Stir in the chopped plantain pieces, turmeric powder, chilly powder, curry leaves and salt.  Cover and cook till tender at low heat.
Crush the grated coconut with cumin seeds, garlic and green chilies.  Add it to the cooked raw banana.  Mix well and cook for a few more minutes. Switch off. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment